Catlin Court Walking Tour
Read about the history of Catlin Court.
1.) V.E. Messinger House, 7141 N. 59th Avenue
The deed was first recorded in 1892 and the house was built in 1895. A well-detailed Queen Anne vernacular cottage, this wood-frame house has a wood-shingled, high pitched gable roof with cornice moulding. The entry porch has ornamental wood balustrade typifying the Queen Anne style. Messinger was Glendale's first town clerk and helped establish the Glendale library.
2.) C.E. Allen House, 7142 N. 58th Drive
Built between 1924 and 1930, in brick Craftsman Bungalow style architecture, this house features a wood-shingled gabled roof wth clay tile at the ridge and exposed rafter purlins at the eaves. The recessed entry porch has brick piers and ornamental iron balustrades. In the 1930s, a number of tenants lived here. Clapboard addition is compatible with this architecture.
3.) The Carden House, 7149 N. 58th Drive
Built in 1936, this is a ranch version of the Minimal Traditional style. The tongue and groove batten doors with small cast iron poles are original. The repeated scalloped vertical boards at the gable head make this a rather over-decorated version of this simple architectural style. Frank Carden operated a men's clothing store downtown, and he also became a justice of the peace.
4.) The Marshall House, 7153 N. 58th Drive
This 1930s house features a simple bungalow design, influenced by the popularity of the Spanish Eclectic style based on a California prototype. The builders started with a simple brick house but added clay tile roof and carved ends of the rafters. Philip Marshall was co-owner of the Marshall Brothers Barber Shop.
5.) Christian Church Bungalow, 7154 N. 58th Drive
Built in 1917, this church is an unusual example of the bungalow style but on a larger scale. This is the only bungalow church in Arizona. The ventilated gables, the gabled porch with truncated wood posts and wood balustrades are all typical of bungalow style residences. Original integrity has been maintained except for double-hung windows changed to casement.
6.) The Madison House, 7157 N. 58th Drive
Harry H. Madison owned a bakery in town. His house was built by J.D. Howell, a prominent builder of the time. This Craftsman Bungalow is unique in that its front porch, with its truncated posts, appears to have been enclosed from the beginning. Built around 1928, the ornamental touch on the gable ventilator is typical of that period.
7.) Floyd H. Sine House, 7163 N. 58th Drive
Floyd was the first Sine brother to come to Glendale. He began the first water company which he sold to the city in 1912. This large bungalow has a second-floor sleeping porch and is a rare local use of variegated brick. Its deep overhangs and flat roof are characteristic of the Prairie School style. The fastidious Mrs. Sine is said to have swept the roof and scrubbed the sidewalk.
8.) The Hansen House, 5834 W. Myrtle
This prominent home belonged to Otto R. Hansen, originator of the Catlin Court subdivision, and was later purchased by D.H. Bonsall, owner of Southwest Flour and Feed Company. The bay window, corbelled purlins and multiple diamond upper-sashed window panes exemplify a bungalow right from a plan book. The enclosed porch was originally a veranda.
9.) C.M. Wood House, 7222 N. 58th Drive
Built on speculation in 1919 by G.W. Protzman from "Ye Planry" plan book this is a basic bungalow with knee braces and purlins. The ornamental touches include lattice under the gables. Instead of a formal bay window, a unique oriel bay window was built which rests on a bracket and has a boxy look. Mr Wood was a prominent Glendale pharmacist.
10.) Delbert Lower House, 7230 N. 58th Drive
Built in 1918, this well-maintained clapboard-sheathed bungalow was occupied by Lower from 1919 to 1932. Knee-braced brackets, oriel with gabled roof, offset gable porch with truncated wood posts on brick piers are signatures of this design from "Ye Planry" book. Several outbuildings maintain the gables and styling similar to that of the main house.
11.) Appleby/McRuer House, 7248 N. 58th Drive
Built in 1917 for G.A. Appleby, president of Commerce Bank and later sold to Duncan McRuer, principal of Glendale High School, this is a simple bungalow style house with no extensive decoration. The house features exposed rafter eaves and multi-lite window pane sashes. The wooden Craftsman front door exemplifies the Arts and Crafts movement of the early part of this century.
12.) J.C. Kenton House, 7302 N. 58th Drive
This is a noteworthy bungalow with its truncated posts on massive masonry piers. It features exposed rafters with knee braces, an oriel bay window on the side and a fine Craftsman door. Built in 1918 by prolific Glendale contractor, J.D. Howell for Green McAbee, this home helped stimulate building in this neighborhood.
13.) The J.B. Ingram House, 7322 N. 58th Drive
Built in 1919, this house was bought by city councilman J.B. Ingram. One of the largest and best preserved bungalows in Glendale, this home features a formal, arched-entry porch with low walls and pergolas (sheltered canopies) placed symmetrically on either side of the porch as an alternative to a veranda going all the way across the front. Shed roof oriels project out on side walls.
14.) The C.E. Walker House, 7321 N. 58th Drive
The original resident still owns this Spanish Eclectic style house built in 1928. Typical features include the batten shutters with small cut-outs, wing walls with parapets looking like a ruin of a Spanish colonial courtyard, and the highly rustic doorway that goes nowhere, adding to the decor with leather strap hinges and the cut-out of a bell.
15.) The C.A. Jamison House, 5824 W. State
Built in 1919 by J.D. Howell, this brick version of a typical Craftsman Bungalow features a gable roof with cross gable, accented with wood shingles and lattice ornamentation. Exposed rafter purlins accent the wrap-around veranda with truncated wood posts on brick piers. Evan Mecham and his mother lived here for one month in the 1950s.
16.) David Roberts House, 5808 W. State
Built in early 1920s for Reverand Roberts, an Englishman, this stucco, gabled bungalow has exposed rafters with purlins. The entry porch with its rounded columns differs from usual Craftsman styling. The four-lite beveled glass windows are original. Reverand Roberts became minister of the Glendale First Methodist Church in 1912.
17.) Louis Myers House, 5803 W. State
Prominent in Glendale affairs, Mr. Myers was manager of the Northside Transfer Company. This simple clapboard bungalow is in the Craftsman style with truncated posts on wood boxes on the gabled entry porch. It also has exposed rafter eave treatment with purlins. Double-hung wood windows are original and contain three-lite top panes.
18.) The Kalas House, 5811 W. State
Glendale chirporactor and former mayor, Dr. William Kalas, bought this house new in 1927. It is a stylized version of the Spanish Eclectic style, with parapet roofline of the Pueblo Revival style. Mission styling includes the arches, the rustic shutters and the side entry with small tiled canopy. The chimney has a truncated shape and windows are original.
19.) Isaac Imes House, 5823 W. State
This clapboard Craftsman Bungalow, with exposed rafters and knee braces, has an offset, gabled entry porch. The wood, double-hung windows feature multi-lite top panes. The door boasts its original, large, one-piece float glass. Imes was a teacher and later a shcool principal. One of Glendale's elementary schools is named for him.
20.) Barnes/Sharp House, 7229 N. 58th Drive
This house had many occupants over the years and conveys the image of the wood frame/clapboard Craftsman Bungalow style. The wood porch box columns are set in triplicate on wood panel piers. A shed roof overhangs an oriel window box on the south side and latticework ornaments the gable over the front porch.
21.) Mansour Daou House, 5824 W. Myrtle
Still owned by a member of the family, this prominent house illustrates transition between bungalow and Tudor Revival style. It also features a rare local use of buff brick. Twin gables flanking small entry porch are characteristic of Tudor style. Exposed rafters are typical of bungalow styling. Extensive wrought iron grillwork covers all windows and doors.
22.) The Whitney House, 7162 N. 58th Avenue
This simple bungalow-style home with veranda is a locally rare use of variegated brick. It uses wood shingle ornamentation at the gable and has exposed rafters with purlins. This home was built in the mid-1920s for Vern Whitney, a rural mail courier and one of four brothers who became prominent Glendale residents.
23.) The Ware House, 7146 N. 58th Avenue
This building is an excellent example of the bungalow style with recessed veranda. Stucco arched columns on the porch add a touch of Mission styling to this clapboard structure. Mrs. Ware was reported to have been angry when the old Methodist parsonage was moved next door to her newly-built home.
24.) First Methodist Church Parsonage, 7142 N. 58th Avenue
Built as the parsonage for the church, this building was moved twice. It is a locally rare example of simple new-colonial revival architecture. Originally built in 1898, this roof has truncated hip styling with a tin roof over the veranda which has wood post fencing and balustrades. the house also features cornice moulding eave treatment.
Visit Our Partner Sites:
Curvy Inc |
Plus Size Now |
The Plus Size Dress |
Plus For Women |
Pillow Closet |
AZ Team Gear |
Stylin Home |
Diet Depot |
Catfish Fans |
Design By Joyce |